Sunlight and a mirror can be a flammable combination. Magnifying mirrors in particular can cause problems.
Sunlight and a make-up mirror can be a dangerous combination, says the Oulu-Koillismaa Rescue Department on its Facebook page.
A picture from an ordinary citizen shows how the sun shining in the make-up mirror had formed a focal point for the sheepskin on top of the chair. Based on the picture, it seemed to suffer badly.
The sources of the problem were taken by a strange cart in the apartment.
There was no fire this time, but the incident was not the first. Magnifying mirrors in particular, such as make-up mirrors, can cause problems, the Oulu-Koillismaa Rescue Department reminds.
Especially magnifying mirrors are problematic
Fire Inspection Engineer Jarkko Heikkinen tells Ilta-Sanomat that the situation that caused the accident is a so-called focal point phenomenon that is familiar to many from childhood games.
– With the help of a magnifying glass and sunlight, holes were burned in one’s own clothes, for example, Heikkinen recalls.
A mirror can be dangerous, especially if it is rounded or ground to a certain pattern.
– A shaped mirror can act like a magnifying glass and use sunlight to create a focal point.
“At least I wouldn’t dare leave the nursery”
There are also other places in the home that are perceived as harmless that can cause a fire with poor luck or carelessness.
One of the most common is a candle can, which can explode when heated. The problem is especially true for thinner glassware.
– When the candle burns out, the whole container can break into pieces and the candle will fall on the table. There have been several such near-miss situations.
Incandescent lamps with a clip have also caused dangerous situations when they are attached to the edge of a bed or shelf, for example.
– There is not much to kick, so the light falls down and at worst ignites the bedding. At least I wouldn’t dare leave one in the nursery for a night to burn. There has been so much damage, Heikkinen says.
Whatever the electrical appliance of the home, it should always be used with a certain charge.
– And the instructions for use must be read, even if a Finnish man does not like to do so.
Kitchen home in the most dangerous place
The most common place to risk is still the kitchen.
Fires from the stove are definitely the most extinguished all over Finland. The culprit is usually found in the kitchen user.
– The stove itself is not dangerous, but when food is prepared unattended or stored on a stove with flammable material, such as plastic dumps, dangerous situations can occur.
According to Heikkinen, the most fireproof stove is an induction stove. It switches off when the pot or pan is lifted out of the cooking zone. Various clock switches or stove guards also improve the fire safety of stoves and kitchens.
The apartments are different, so Heikkinen recommends that all residents carry out a risk assessment at home. There is usually no sacrifice of thought for security issues, but a mapping would be good to do in case of the worst. In addition to the hazards, it would be a good idea to go through the electrical appliances in the home from which the fire may originate.
– In addition, it would be good to find a fire blanket and a hand fire extinguisher in every home, especially if the home is located a little further from the fire station.
Source site www.is.fi