Published on : Modified :
Portuguese Foreign Minister Augusto Santos Silva announced on Monday that around 60 soldiers would soon be sent to Mozambique after a jihadist attack claimed by the Islamic State group in Palma, in the north of the country. </p><div> <p>Lisbon will send around sixty soldiers to Mozambique in the coming weeks after an attack claimed by the Islamic State group in Palma, a city in the north of the country, Portuguese Foreign Minister Augusto Santos Silva said on Monday (March 29th).
“A team of around 60 Portuguese soldiers is in the process of preparing (…) it will be sent in the coming weeks on the ground in Mozambique,” said the minister during an interview with Portuguese public television RTP. It will support the Mozambican army in the training of special forces “.
Palma, a small port in northern Mozambique, fell to jihadist commandos after an attack last week claimed by the Islamic State group.
This attack occurred only 10 km from a gigantic gas project of several billion euros piloted by the French group Total.
The Islamic State group also claimed responsibility for the deaths of dozens of soldiers “and Christians, including nationals of Crusader states”.
The UN, which “strongly condemns the attacks”, said it was “deeply concerned about the still evolving situation in Palma”. While Washington said it was “determined” to assist the Mozambican government, without specifying how.
Portuguese Prime Minister Antonio Costa said he was following the situation in Mozambique “with great concern from the outset and continuously, through the Foreign and Defense Ministers”.
Mozambique, a former colony of Portugal, became independent in 1975.
Source site www.france24.com