Rohan Dennis won the time trial in the Volta a Catalunya on Tuesday. Steven Kruijswijk was the best Dutchman in fifth place.
Dennis needed 22 minutes and 27 seconds for the 18 kilometer time trial. The two-time time trial world champion was five seconds ahead of the Frenchman Rémi Cavagna.
The Portuguese João Almeida is the new leader in the general classification. The Deceunick-Quick-Step rider finished third in the chrono race, almost half a minute behind Dennis.
Kruijswijk gave in 33 seconds to the Australian from INEOS Grenadiers. At 23.00, the Dutchman was a few seconds faster than INEOS leaders Richie Porte, Adam Yates and Geraint Thomas. The leader of Jumbo-Visma will ride his second race of 2021 in Catalonia, after he inconspicuously finished 29th in the final classification in Paris-Nice.
Wilco Kelderman (BORA-hansgrohe) finished twelfth, 53 seconds behind Dennis. Thijmen Arensman (sixteenth), Koen Bouwman (seventeenth) and Robert Gesink (twentieth) also had good results.
The first stage was won by the Dane Andreas Kron on Monday. The Volta a Catalunya will last until Sunday, with an uphill stage on Wednesday.
Results of the Tour de Catalonia time trial
- 1. Rohan Dennis (INEOS) 22.27
- 2. Rémi Cavanga (Deceuninck-Quick-Step) +0.05
- 3. João Almeida (Deceuninck-Quick-Step) +0.28
- 4. Brandon McNulty (UAE Emirates) +0.29
- 5. Steven Kruijswijk (Jumbo-Visma) +0.33
- 6. Richie Porte (INEOS) +0.35
- 7. Adam Yates (INEOS) +0.35
- 8. Josef Cerny (Deceuninck-Quick-Step) +0.38
- 9. Stefan De Bod (Astana) +0.39
- 10. Geraint Thomas (INEOS) +0.47
Source site www.nu.nl