Published on :
Indonesia and the Catholic community mourned again after an explosion on Sunday March 28 near Makassar Cathedral. A bomb could be at the origin, according to the Indonesian police, who suspect two people seen on motorcycles. </p><div> <p><span><span><span><span><span><span>At least two dead and ten wounded, this is the provisional assessment given by the authorities of <strong>the explosion that occurred around 10:30 a.m.</strong>, local time, this Sunday. The attack took place when Palm Sunday Mass had just ended in the Cathedral of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, seat of the Archdiocese of Makassar, in the south of the island of Celebes, in <strong>Indonesia</strong>.</span></span></span></span></span></span>
The South Sulawsi province police spokesman said the injured were taken to hospital. The police also found parts of human bodies, without knowing whether they belonged to the victims or to the attackers.
According to the priest of the cathedral, a parishioner would have tried to counter a suicide bomber, who sought to enter the thchurch. « Two people were riding motorcycles when the explosion occurred at the main gate of the church, the attackers were trying to enter the perimeter of the church National police spokesman Argo Yuwono said.
Catholic churches, targets of extremists
The story repeats itself. Catholic churches have in the past been the target of extremists in Indonesia. It is the most populous Muslim-majority country in the world. In May 2018, a series of attacks, the deadliest in a decade, had been perpetrated by several families. In total, these attacks left 15 victims and 13 dead among the attackers, including 5 children.
The three radicalized families were linked to the radical movement Jamaah Ansharut Daulah (JAD), supported by the group IT’SIslamic State, which claimed responsibility for the attacks.
► Read also: Indonesia: what consequences after the release of Islamist leader Abu Bakar Bashir?
Source site www.rfi.fr