The number of victims of the death toll from the collapse of a 10-storey residential building in the Gesr El Suez area, east of Cairo, increased to 10, and 29 people were injured, while Egyptian media reported that a total of more than 14 people were pulled from the rubble. This coincided with the funerals of the victims of the train collision in Sohag governorate, which resulted in the death of at least 19 people and the injury of more than 180 people, most of them from Upper Egypt, while an investigation was launched to find out the circumstances of the accident.
In detail, the early hours of yesterday morning witnessed a new disaster in Egypt, represented by the collapse of a property in the Gesr al-Suez area in Cairo, which resulted in the death of 10 people and the injury of 29 others.
Egyptian media said, “The Civil Protection Forces have intensified their search for victims from under the rubble of the property that collapsed in the early hours of yesterday morning,” noting that there are reports of more than 40 people under the rubble.
For its part, the Egyptian newspaper “Akhbar Al-Youm” reported that rescue teams managed to pull out a family alive, among the rubble of the building, noting that the family consisted of five members and they were taken to hospital for treatment.
The Central Operations Room in Cairo Governorate received a notification at dawn yesterday, stating the collapse of a building consisting of a basement, a ground floor, and nine frequent floors, on Al-Bridge Street, the Omar Ibn Al-Khattab division, next to Omar Ibn Al-Khattab Metro Station (Al-Salam District 1).
The governor of Cairo, Khaled Abdel Aal, said that the state of emergency had been raised to the maximum level at Al-Salam Hospital, and that all medical teams were present to provide health services to the injured, indicating that all medical supplies were available in the hospital. The governor decided to form an engineering committee to examine the properties adjacent to the collapsed property and to indicate the extent to which they were affected by the collapse, while removing the waste resulting from the accident as soon as the Public Prosecution ended.
The accident comes the day after a collision of two trains in Sohag governorate, which caused the death of at least 19 people, and the injury of more than 180 others.
The funerals of the victims of the train collision were held yesterday, as the funerals of the victims began in the villages surrounding the area of the accident. Seven people were killed in Sohag, according to an AFP correspondent.
During a press conference held by the Council of Ministers in Cairo yesterday noon, and broadcast by state television, Minister of Health and Population Hala Zayed said, “After we checked the injuries and deaths … up to this moment there are 185 injuries, 19 bodies and three bags of body parts.”
On Friday evening, the minister announced during a press conference in Sohag that the death toll had reached 32, and 165 injured, 70% of whom suffered fractures.
Yesterday, the minister clarified that the review of the outcome was due to “reporting by the people who assisted the rescue units in 20 cases, who were in complete coma and are believed to be corpses.”
The Public Prosecutor, Hamada Al-Sawy, issued a statement on Friday night (Saturday), after inspecting the site of the accident, in which he ordered “to quickly take measures towards questioning the drivers and assistants of the two trains, the operator of the control tower and the operator of the crossing in front of him.”
He also ordered “to conduct an analysis of narcotic substances for each of them, and to seize their cell phones for examination and to examine the record of conversations taking place through them.”
The Public Prosecutor decided to delegate a five-year committee tasked with “determining the person responsible for the collision and establishing his responsibility, and the extent to which he follows the rules, regulations and regulations for operating the trains, and clarifies all the deficiencies and breaches, their cause and who is responsible.”
The Public Prosecution had requested, in a statement, from the various authorities and agencies not to issue “any statements or statements about the causes of the accident, as the Public Prosecution undertakes investigations to uncover the true causes of its occurrence.”
At the press conference, Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly announced that Egyptian President Abdel Fattah El-Sisi had ordered the “doubling” of compensation for the families of the victims of the accident, to reach 100,000 pounds for each dead, and raising it between 20 and 40 thousand for each injured, depending on the degree of injury.
“We have no way but to develop the railway facility,” he said, stressing that “the matter takes time”, and that “it is possible that such accidents will happen.”
And footage captured by surveillance cameras showed a violent collision that threw one of the trailers into the air and left a thick cloud of dust and smoke at the site of the tragedy in the village of Al-Sawamiya Gharb, 460 kilometers from Cairo to the south.
And it appeared in video clips circulating on social media, that some of the train cars derailed, as citizens and ambulance workers rushed to transport the victims on stretchers in a terrifying scene.
The train traffic resumed on the line yesterday morning, after the removal of the five cars that overturned and the debris left by the accident, while security forces are deployed in the area.
The collision of the two trains coincides with another crisis in Egypt, which disrupts navigation in the Suez Canal for the fourth consecutive day, after a huge container ship ran aground due to bad weather and closed the waterway, while the Egyptian authorities continued efforts to remove it.
Rescue teams brought out a family of 5 who was alive, among the rubble of the building.
Follow our latest local and sports news, and the latest political and economic developments via Google news
Source site www.emaratalyoum.com