Trump is considering banning TikTok
| Reading time: 3 minutes
The U.S. government is considering banning the TikTok video app from China. US President Trump said a ban is one of many possible measures to retaliate against China for dealing with the corona pandemic.
US-President Donald Trump, according to his own statements, is considering banning the video app TikTok in the USA – as a possible retaliation for Chinas use of the corona virus.
“We’ll take a look at this,” Trump said in an interview on Tuesday when asked. “It’s a big company. Look what happened to China with this virus, what they did to this country and the whole world is a shame “.
Trump gave no details. The ban on TikTok is “one of many” possible ways to act against China. Among other things, the US president blames China for the devastating outbreak of the corona virus in the USA.
Earlier, U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo announced Monday that the U.S. government was considering banning the app. “We take it very seriously. We’re definitely looking at it, ”Pompeo told Fox News. He was asked if the US government should consider banning social media from China, and specifically TikTok. India recently banned TikTok and 58 other apps from China.
US authorities are investigating TikTok
Most recently, American TikTok users made headlines in the United States because parts of the community carried out troll actions against President Trump. Tens of thousands of users apparently reserved tickets for Trump’s campaign appearance in Tulsa, but had not appeared. Many seats in the arena therefore remained empty, as did seats in front of a specially built stage in front of the hall.
TikTok users continue to call for actions against the incumbent in the US election campaign.
TikTok is also under investigation by the Federal Trade Commission and the Department of Justice, according to a lawyer for child privacy in the United States. Several data protection organizations had claimed in May that the app, popular among teenagers, was collecting information about children under the age of 13 without parental permission, which violated both the US Data Protection Act and an earlier regulation by the Federal Trade Commission.
TikTok, which became the Chinese parent company ByteDance Ltd. heard defended himself after Pompeos announcement.
“TikTok is managed by an American CEO, with hundreds of employees and key security, product and public policy executives here in the United States,” said a company spokesman. “We have never provided user data to the Chinese government, and we would never do so if asked.”
TikTok had hired former Walt Disney CEO Kevin Mayer as CEO last month.
TikTok in review
TikTok has long been experiencing political headwinds in the United States. At the end of last year, US military personnel were prohibited from using the app on their service smartphones due to security concerns. Pompeo said on Tuesday that you should only download the app to your smartphone “if you want your private information to get into the hands of the Chinese Communist Party.”
The Chinese parent company ByteDance is viewed with suspicion abroad because of a possible proximity to Chinas authorities and the handling of personal data. That is why the company has long been trying to separate its international platform from the Chinese version.
TikTok announced on Tuesday that it would withdraw from the Special Administrative Region market due to the Chinese National Security Act in Hong Kong – and underlined efforts.